.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tom Cherry Experience

Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Last of Sheila

The Last of Sheila

I saw The Last of Sheila last night. It's always nice to stumble upon a fun movie you never knew existed. It's a twisty good murder mystery written by Stephen Sondheim and Anthony Perkins (Who knew? I didn't) that starred James Coburn, Richard Benjamin, Dyan Cannon, Raquel Welch, James Mason, Ian McShane, and Joan Hackett. I really like Joan Hackett a lot. I can't explain why, but I do (And, no, it's not because she played Alex Reiger's sister. Ok, maybe it is). Anyway it's a fun film about a game of murder among a bunch of Hollywood types that reenforces your opinion about Hollywood types. It would make a great double feature with The Player. So if you like clever murder mysteries, check it out! I've been thinking about it all day. Thanks to TCM, Robert Osborne and Edgar Wright for introducing it to me.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • I'll try to find a copy once I get my new library card. Those kind of happy accident discoveries have been some of my favorite movies! Usually because they had low-to-no real distribution, but are really entertaining nonetheless. Here are 3 for you to try (if you haven't already found them):

    * The Dish (with Patrick Warburton & Sam Neill, from 2000)

    * The Maiden Heist (with Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken, & William H. Macy, from 2009. Its distributor went bankrupt, apparently, so it ended up just going to DVD, even with all its star power!)

    * Cuban Fury (Nick Frost, Rashida Jones, & Chris O'Dowd, a UK release from just last year. The DVD extras are great to see, and you would probably appreciate them from your acting and rehearsal experiences)

    By Blogger SmearySoapboxPress, at 1:40 PM  

  • Thanks for your suggestions, Dale! I'm a big Nick Frost fan so I definitely need to see Cuban Fury eventually!

    By Blogger Tom, at 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home