.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tom Cherry Experience

Monday, June 22, 2015

Saturday's Comic Haul (6/20/15)

Sixpack

All Star Section Eight #1

Astro City #24

Black Canary #1

Groo: Friends and Foes #6

House of Hem

Prez #1

Rick and Morty #2

SpongeBob Comics #45

The Walking Dead #142

Usagi Yojimbo #146

Purchased at Bob's Comic Castle. Total amount: $41 and change

Notes- Now this was a great haul! Of course, it was a pricey haul as well, but most of it was birthday money (Thanks, Todd!) so what the hay? We have two or three DC You titles, a fine collection of Fred Hembeck's work for Marvel, a couple comics by master cartoonists, and familiar favorites!...Black Canary has been one of my favorite superheroines since I was a kid, but I had no interest in following her New 52 version. However, I did read some good reviews of the first issue of her new book so I took a chance and bought it. I enjoyed the art and writing and the rock band concept, but I don't know if I'll be adding it to my pull pile or not. A case of too many books and not enough money!...The art for Prez was my ticket in the door. Plus a relaunch of a Joe Simon concept? Yeah, I'm in! (Remember I did buy the Green Team relaunch a couple years ago. At least, the first three or four issues!) The first issue of Prez made me laugh out loud a couple times so I think I'm along for the ride! At least, for now!...I never knew I needed a book featuring Section Eight until I heard it was getting solicited a few months back. However, the surprise return of Garth Ennis to DC Comics grabbed my attention for some reason. I collected Hitman back in the day. I don't think I stayed with the book until the bitter end, but I look back on its run rather fondly. Glad I decided to grab the first issue! Ennis and his old partner in crime, John McCrea, still enjoy kneecapping the superhero concept and smearing it with some gross out humor and general lewdness. I'm glad I don't live in Sixpack's world, but I don't mind being a spectator. In other words, All Star Section Eight is the winner of this haul!

Sixpack was created by Garth Ennis and John McCrea. He belongs to DC Comics.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home