.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tom Cherry Experience

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Worst Audition Ever!

I had a bad, bad, bad audition at the Muncie Civic yesterday! I bombed so badly I'm surprised we're not experiencing a nuclear winter right now. Geesh! And the sad part is I thought I was pretty well prepared before I stepped on stage. I'm developing a theory that no matter how well you think you have your material under control, once you stand about in the lobby awaiting your turn to audition, everything you practice flees your mind. At least, that's what I think happened to me.

I screwed up my monologue from The Odd Couple right out of the gate. For some reason, I dropped the second line and that basically derailed me. My mind fumbled about for a few seconds, trying to figure out what I exactly had done while I stood on stage, staring out to the audience like a deer frozen in the headlights. I tried to aright myself, but the pacing and emotion were thrown off. I muttered the words, but it sounded like I was reading from a badly prepared speech. Eventually, I spiraled to a finish.

Before I could accurately survey the damage, I had a song to sing. Oh, boy. The song I chosen to warble was "Feels like Home to Me" by Randy Newman. It's a pretty song about finding that certain someone that completes you in all the right ways. I have always liked it since I first heard it a handful of years ago and I decided to give it a shot. However, it's a challenging song to sing (Well, at least, it is for me) so I knew I had a couple hurdles to jump to really pull it off. Despite a few days of jumping those hurdles, I tripped all over them yesterday. I don't think I fell flatly on my face, but I was definitely making close contact with the ground after the last note was sung.

And that was it. I thanked everyone and wished them all a good evening. My acting and singing may not have impressed them, but at least they know I have good manners. I doubt politeness will get me a part, but that's okay. There will be other auditions for other shows. Other chances to get it right.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home