.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tom Cherry Experience

Friday, February 17, 2012

My Comic Book Collection: Batman Family #9 (1977)

Batman Family #9 (1977)

Catfight! Catfight! Well, actually it's more of a batfight or, to be fair, a bat-and-woman-in-Joker-drag fight (Joker drag fu?). No matter what you call it, Batgirl and The Joker's Daughter are locked in battle on this simple, but dynamic cover from Ernie Chua. Of course, I thought Barbara Gordon got her brown belt in judo, not hairpulling. Dirty pool, Babs!

I'm currently trying to write my first superhero comic in a long while and decided to dip into my comic book collection for some inspiration. I stumbled upon some of Bob Rozakis's Batman Family run and became reunited with his lighthearted, but fun storytelling. The type of comics I'm aiming for in my next project. Is it sad I miss the days when Batgirl wore high heeled boots to fight crime and Two-Face was old enough to have a teenaged daughter? Perhaps, but it would be cool if Bob Rozakis was still writing enjoyable comic books today. I know I would buy them!

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • So that earlier sketch was a prelude of things to come!

    By Blogger Postmaster, at 7:55 AM  

  • Batman Family is one of my favorite comics-- the Batgirl/Robin chemistry was a lot of fun, and I liked the way they scheduled the stories for much of the run: Batgirl and Robin solo in even numbered issues, teamed up in the odds. Elliot S! Maggin was another favorite writer of mine from those days, and he did a fair amount of stories for Batfam, too.

    By Blogger SmearySoapboxPress, at 2:42 PM  

  • Keith- Maybe

    Dale- I never noticed the odd/even issue format before. Thanks for highlighting that! And whatever happened to Elliot S! Maggin? He seemed to have to have disappeared when the '80s began to roll around. I do got one of his BF issues where Sportsmaster and The Huntress show up to fight the Dynamite Duo. Fun stuff!

    By Blogger Tom, at 4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home