.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Tom Cherry Experience

Friday, January 11, 2013

The Dollar Bill Panel of the Month: January 2013

Once upon a time, superhero teams had mascots. The Avengers had Rick Jones. The Justice League of America had Snapper Carr. And, for a very brief time, The Defenders had Dollar Bill. Okay, maybe Dollar Bill wasn't their official mascot, but that trendy, indy filmmaker stuck around the famous non-team long enough to make an impact. At least, an impact on this certain reader.
 
Befriending Valkyrie in The Defenders #51, Dollar Bill slowly, but surely wormed his way into the good graces of Marvel Comics' most untraditional superhero team. Brash and bombastic, Dollar Bill was annoying, self-centered, and basically a big mouth. And yet I like the bearded putz! In fact, I like him so much that I'm going to honor this nearly forgotten supporting character from the House of Ideas by featuring a panel of Dollar Bill every month in 2013! This is the first one. Enjoy!
  

Dollar Bill
 
Dollar Bill makes his first appearance in The Defenders #51 (September 1977). Written by David Kraft, penciled by Keith Giffen, and inked by Klaus Janson. The letterer was B. Patterson and Phil Rache. Marvel Comics. Dollar Bill was created by David Anthony Kraft and Keith Giffen.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • This looks fun! I was able to find a chunk of cheap Defenders years and years ago, but not enough to read a fully satisfying run of them. I came to the title too late for the original team, but I liked the Nighthawk/Hulk/Hellcat/Valkyrie team a lot; a nice quirky antidote to the seriousness of the FF & Avengers of that period. Maybe I need to track me down some Essentials....

    By Blogger SmearySoapboxPress, at 12:37 AM  

  • Growing up I was more a DC fanboy than Marvel, but The Defenders was my favorite Marvel superhero team. I love the Nighthawk/Hulk/Hellcat/Valkyrie era of the team and generally the non-team concept. Though I don't have many of Steve Gerber's issues, I think the shadow of his stories influenced the title until the bitter end (Ok, at least, until The New Defenders came about). Not everything worked, but I loved the quirkiness and the "anything goes" quality. Plus I think the Hellcat/Valkyrie friendship is one of the best superhero friendships of all time.

    By Blogger Tom, at 2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home