Fun with Joe and Norma
* As a fan of Dragnet, it’s always amusing to see Jack Webb playing a happy-go-lucky, swinging single guy.
* Could Norma Desmond be a working actress if she really wanted to be or does maintaining her own stardom stand in her way?
* Is the guy with the spotlight named “Hawkeye” or “Hogeye”? I always hear Hogeye.
* “A dozen public agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit.”
* How many people would truly love to have their former spouses become their sexless, loyal servants?
* I’ve become more impressed with William Holden over the last couple of years as I discover/rediscover some of his films. I like the fact he made Boulevard and Born Yesterday in the same year. 1950 was a good year for Mr. Holden.
* “There’s nothing tragic about being fifty. Not unless you’re trying to be twenty-five.”
* I would love to have Norma Desmond’s phone. You could knock a person into a coma with its massive receiver.
* I like that Joe keeps walking despite being shot. It takes the second shot to make him turn around to face Norma yet he’s still reaching for his suitcase.
* Hedda Hopper is a pushy bitch.
* Here’s some William Holden fun: Compare and contrast the Joe Gillis-Norma Desmond relationship with the Max Schumacher-Diana Christensen relationship in Network? Feel free to discuss.